Welcome to Wise Daughters
It is with sadness that I must announce the closure of Wise Daughters.
Saturday, March 29th will be the last day the shop is open for business. Be sure to stop by for a last chance to pick up beautiful work by your favourite artists, some of it deeply discounted.
On a positive note, LadeeBee Supplies, Wise Daughters' downstairs neighbour for the past year, will be taking over both levels, filling the space with more marvelous yarn and other supplies. LadeeBee will also take over and expand programming, so you can keep your creative juices flowing with craft workshops at this location. Visit ladeebee.com. for all the details.
Over the past five years, I've achieved all but one of the goals I set when I opened this business, including:
- providing a small but important income to about 100 different artists per year (over 5 years, close to $250,000 has gone to local handmakers and workshop instructors)
- keeping money in the community by using only local businesses for everything from retail supplies to printing to window cleaning, and by advertising in local papers
- maintaining a low carbon footprint; because all the products are made in Southern Ontario (the furthest they travel is from Essex or Kingston via Canada Post; most are delivered by the artists, often by TCC or bicycle)
- giving back to the community by donating to innumerable local schools and charities, and offering free programming to families in the community several times a year
- supporting social enterprises such as Epic Mart and Inspirations Studio, which give marginalized adults meaningful work
The goal I couldn't achieve was to make a living. The shop was growing slowly but steadily, but 2013 saw a substantial drop in sales that the business couldn't withstand.
I wrap up this chapter of my life with no regrets and great memories. I'll be around, taking workshops myself.
MARCH BREAK CRAFT CAMP
March 10 - 14 from 1 - 4 pm daily.
Send us your kids (10+) for single sessions or the whole week. To register for the whole program, you can use the shopping cart here. To register for individual afternoons at $50 each, please call 416-761-1555.
Mon – Embroidered Art
Embroidery is like colouring with yarn! Choose an iron-on transfer and make a piece of art to hang.
Tues – Needle Felted Sculpture
Build your own fuzzy creature using unspun wool and a needle.
Wed – Loom Building and Weaving
Create your own custom loom and weave up a design using your favourite colour palette.
Thurs – Jewelry Making
Make pendants using spectacular Japanese paper and glass tiles.
Fri – Knitting
See what amazing fabric you can make using 2 sticks. For beginners or those with experience.